No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS)
Call 1800 484 664 or email us at email@example.com
How does it work?
The No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) is for individuals and families on low incomes. We give you access to safe, fair and affordable lending, so you can buy the essential items you need.
You can borrow up to $1,500 (or $2,000 if you have experienced family violence). Loans are repaid over a 12-18 month period, and you’ll only have to repay what you’ve borrowed – no extras.
Do I qualify for a loan?
To be eligible for help through NILS, you must:
- have a Health Care Card or Pension Card, OR earn less than $45,000 per year after tax ($60,000 for couples or people with dependents)
- have lived at your current or previous address for more than three months
- exceptional circumstances include:
- Applicants in transitional housing;
- People experiencing family violence;
- Those is state/community housing transfer
- Applicants who have not had an address for an extended period
- Those struggling to obtain a proof of residency (e.g. remote areas)
- be able and willing to repay the loan
What can I purchase?
NILS loans can be used for essential goods and services. These may include:
- Household items like fridges, washing machines, TVs and furniture
- Educational needs such as laptops, tablets, textbooks, course fees, uniforms and school excursions
- Car repairs, tyres, green slips and vehicle registration
- Medical and dental expenses
- Some other essentials, as requested
Your loan cannot be used to pay rent, bills, fines or debts, or for living expenses such as groceries.
We reserve the right to determine your suitability on a case-by-case basis.
How do I apply?
Contact our Vinnies No Interest Loan Scheme team on 1800 484 664 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will explain the application process to you and ask for some documents to show you are eligible for a loan.
From there, you will be invited to discuss your application in a follow-up interview via phone. Interviews usually take between 30 minutes to one hour.
Shortly afterwards, we will assess your application and let you know if your loan has been approved within 24 to 48 hours.
Please note that loans cannot be used for the following:
Bonds and rent, food, bills (gas, electricity, telephone, etc.), cash advances, fines or penalties, debt repayment/consolidation, removalist costs (unless leaving family violence), car repairs other than tyres and windscreens, used cars, second-hand goods, lay-by, microenterprise (including tools/equipment to be used for starting up a business), airfares, clothing and bundling small goods (e.g. kettles, toasters, blenders and sandwich press etc.)